Council Meeting-March 21, 2017

COUNCIL MEETING
Tuesday March 21, 2017

The Board of Aldermen held a regular meeting on Tuesday, March 21, 2017, at 7:00 PM. Those present included Mayor Greg Richmond, Alderpersons Calvin Wilson, Keith Kohley, Roger Coe and Alice Kezar. Also present were City Supervisor David Brodie, Emergency Management Director Denis Kolb, Police Chief Curt Drake, and City Clerk Karla McNorton. Also present were Lois Kolb, Michael Richmond, Ron Johnson, Kevin Keeney, Wally Jeffers and Sally Carroll from the McDonald County Press.

The Mayor called the meeting to order at 7:00 P.M.

The Board discussed the regular meeting minutes from March 7, 2017. Ald. Kezar noted under citizens business that Mr. Jeffers comment about the drones, should read FAA, not FFA. Ald. Wilson made a motion to approve the minutes from the regular meeting March 7, 2017, with the correction. Ald. Kezar seconded. Ald. Coe, Kezar and Wilson voted aye and Ald. Kohley abstained.

Old Business: Ald. Wilson asked David about the metal for the Community Building roof. David is going to try and fix it. It was suggested to have him contact a tree service to see if we can get a bucket to get high enough to fix the roof.

New Business: City Clerk McNorton noted that Mike Williams called and wanted to verify that he was still the mower for the City. The Board agreed to continue having Mike mow for the City as he does a really good job.

Ald. Wilson also noted that a lady had contacted him about the City putting in a skateboard park. Ald. Wilson explained that putting in a skateboard park could be expensive and the insurance could be expensive. He did note that the lady said it takes a lot of time to go to Neosho and let her kids skate for maybe an hour and a half. It was discussed looking into a skateboard park as there is a possibility of getting a grant to assist in the expenses. It was also discussed that you can put up signs that the City is not responsible for accidents. It was also noted the City could be liable if there was a crack in the concrete that was not fixed and someone was injured.

Citizens Business: Mr. Jeffers brought up that there is a lot of gravel on the corner of Main and Ozark Trail on the South side and wanted to know about getting it cleaned up. David noted he believed it was the State, who actually owns it, but it could take a month for them to come and clean it up and he will go clean it up.

Department head reports:

Curt Drake- Nothing to report

Denis Kolb-Nothing to report. Asst. Emergency Management Director Keith Kohley
noted there is a possible severe storm event on Friday.

David Brodie- David noted he has been having trouble with the Lift Station generator and had Route 66 Electric come out and look at it. The generator would kick itself off. The voltage regulator needed replaced and it fixed that problem. It was discovered the disconnect box to the pump is worn and needs replaced as well as a switch. It will be $297.98 for the box, $99.00 for the switch, and $264.00 for the labor, at a total of either $659.48 or $759.48. David will have to check on which amount, but it needs to be fixed since it was put in in 1990. It was asked how much it would cost to replace it and David noted it was a Generac Generator and could cost $30,000.00 to replace it. It was agreed to start planning on replacing it and to discuss it during budget meeting time. Ald. Wilson made a motion to get the generator fixed at total of $759.00. Ald. Kohley seconded. Ald. Coe, Kezar, Kohley and Wilson voted aye with 0 nays.

David then noted he had put up two speed limit signs at Whitmore and Garner on both sides of the street and if the Board wanted more put up, he has 5 more. David did note the Board might consider changing the speed limit to 25 MPH as 30 MPH is a little fast for that street. David noted he is pretty sure that would need to be done by Ordinance. Police Chief Drake also noted that School Street could use a speed limit reduction also.

Ald. Wilson asked if we are still using the marker on Garner Street, as it looked like some kids were damaging it. David noted he is not sure if it is still being used or if it was ever an actual marker. He will have to call a land surveyor and find out.

Meghan Sexson- not present

Karla McNorton- Jill Cornett from Harry S. Truman Coordinating Council would like to schedule a separate meeting to discuss the Comprehensive Plan and wanted to know when a good time for the Board would be. The Board agreed on either April 13, 2017 at 6:00 or 7:00 P.M. or April 27, 2017 at 6:00 or 7:00 P.M.

The Board discussed the bills in the amount of $21,749.56 including transfers. Ald. Kezar
made a motion to approve the bills in the amount of $21,749.56, including transfers. Ald. Coe
seconded. Ald. Coe, Kezar, Kohley and Wilson voted aye with 0 nays.

Ald. Kohley asked about having a closed meeting for hiring, firing, and disciplining in the next few days. The Board agreed to have a closed meeting on Tuesday March 28, 2017 at 7:00 P.M.

Ald. Kohley made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Ald. Coe seconded. Ald. Coe, Kezar, Kohley and Wilson voted aye with 0 nays.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.