Tuesday June 17, 2014 at 7:00 PM at the
Goodman City Hall
June 17, 2014
Regular Board Meeting
The Board of Aldermen held a regular meeting on Tuesday night June 17, 2014 at 7:00 PM. Those present included Mayor Greg Richmond, Alderpersons Calvin Wilson, Keith Kohley, Alice Kezar and Bill Hess. Also present were City Supervisor David Brodie, Chief Curt Drake, Emergency Management Director Denis Kolb, and City Clerk Paula Brodie. Guests included Lois Kolb and Katrina Hines from the McDonald County Dispatch.
The Mayor called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.
The Board of Aldermen discussed the minutes from the regular meeting on June 3, 2014. Ald. Wilson moved to approve the minutes from the regular meeting on May 20, 2014. Ald. Kohley seconded. Ald. Kohley, Hess, Kohley and Wilson voted aye with 0 nays.
The Mayor acknowledged Nick Myers who gave the 2013 Audit report to the Board. He noted that the current assets of the City are $3,943,795.00. Short term liabilities are $101,786.00 and long term liabilities (Bonds) are $1,027,051.00. Total assets minus liabilities are $2,844,791.00. Mr. Myers stated that the Board needed to note that the income on the water/sewer department is less than the expenditures. He said that any major repairs or replacements would be above the revenues. Over all the water/sewer department needs to bring in more funds, decrease expenditures or some of each. Mr. Myers stated that the accounts are in the black because of carry over funds from past years. Nick Myers gave the Board a list of suggested changes and comments. They were to make sure that there was segregation of duties, look over the City’s procedure on compensatory time off. Keep a list of every traffic ticket the police department receives and verify that they are all entered into the JIS court system. The Clerk stated that they had already implemented a procedure to verify the tickets. She stated that Karla looks up all of the tickets on case.net to verify what tickets have been entered and any of the tickets that have not been written yet, the police department still have.
Ald. Kohley moved to approve the 2013 Audit. Ald. Wilson seconded. Ald. Kohley, Hess, Wilson and Kezar voted aye with 0 nays.
Citizens Business. There was none.
The Board discussed the second reading of Bill # 2014-447 for Ordinance No. 2014-457, an Ordinance repealing Section 135.010 and adding Section 135.011 which changes the dollar amounts on Section 135.010, 1 through 3 of the Competitive Bid Ordinance.
The Mayor read Bill # 2014-447 for Ordinance No. 2014-457, an Ordinance repealing Section 135.010 and adding Section 135.011 which changes the dollar amounts on Section 135.010, 1 through 3 of the Competitive Bid Ordinance by title only for the second reading.
Ald. Wilson moved to approve the first reading of Bill # 2014-447 for Ordinance No. 2014-457, an Ordinance repealing Section 135.010 and adding Section 135.011 which changes the dollar amounts on Section 135.010, 1 through 3 of the Competitive Bid Ordinance. Ald. Kohley seconded. Ald. Kohley, Kezar, Hess and Wilson voted aye with 0 nays.
The Board discussed the following old business:
1. The Board discussed the street repair project. It was noted that an advertisement for bids will be in the McDonald County Press on June 26th. David noted that there is a drain from the back yard of the Doctors office to Main Street which keeps the Doctor’s office from flooding.. David stated that they needed to be sure not to cover it up. David asked the Board did the want to put the bid out as a two part bid, but one project. He stated that the Fire Department Driveway could be done as part of the City’s project and then the Fire Department could reimburse the City. The Board agreed that handling the bid that way would be appropriate. It was noted that if the bids come in to high the City or the Fire Department can reject the bids.
2. Keith Kohley asked about the door repair at the emergency Management Department. David stated that he had not remembered to look at it and asked if the Board would like to have a carpenter fix the door, frame and all. David stated that he could get someone to look at it. Ald. Wilson asked if it would be better have dead bolt locks on both doors. The Board agreed.
The Board discussed the following new business:
1. The Board discussed changing the City Codes on the number of children that can be cared for in a home by a person unrelated to them. The Clerk noted that the City code has three (3) children and that the RSMo. has four (4) or fewer children. The Board agreed that the City Code should read the same as the State Statute so they asked the Clerk to write a new code for the next regular meeting.
2. Keith Kohley stated that he had been at the Ballpark two times recently and he had noticed that there was trash everywhere. He said he and his son picked the trash up but he was concerned that if the Board was requiring a cleaning deposit from people to rent the ballpark shouldn’t it be cleaned up first so that they would know what was expected from them to get their deposits back.
3. David asked the Board if him to spray the whole town or just the ballpark. He stated that to spray the ball park one time it took a whole sprayer which costs about $150.00. He noted that he had sprayed on Friday afternoon and Sunday evening. It was decided that someone should call Michael Wasson to see when the ball season ends. The Board also agreed that they should spray around the City too.
4. The Mayor asked the Board to look into the City’s policy for vacations and comp time. He stated that because of the amount of employees it is hard to take vacations. He stated that they should address when an employee has to take his vacation, by changing the policy. He said it is hard for them to take their vacations by their anniversary date.
Department head reports:
Curt Drake- noted that he believed the Expedition is finally fixed. He noted that they did have the new tires mounted at the same time. Curt then gave the Board his monthly report. Curt noted that Bill Cagle has been with the City for 1year. Keith thanked Denis, David and Bill for their work during the flooding the other night.
The Mayor stated that he appreciated all of the city staff.
Denis Kolb- .
Dawn Bunch –
Paula Brodie- noted the information that she had given the Board in their packets about the proposed state wide ¾ cent sales tax that is being placed on the ballot for August. She noted that the information informed the Board that the city would receive about 5% of the increase to use on city streets.
The Mayor stated that he had been thinking about organizing some kind of function as an annual event for the City. He said since the City was actually built on an old apple Orchard it might be a good idea to use apples as the theme. He said then he and Paula had tossed some ideas around about using apples for the City’s logo for letterhead, envelopes and could even be put on the new city sign that is going to be installed on Barlow Street. The Clerk stated that she had even suggested getting people interested in the idea; the Board might want to include the children at the school by asking them to participate in a drawing contest to make up the City logo. The Board discussed the size of the sign and decided to put further discussion on the next agenda.
The Board discussed the bills including transfers in the amount of $47,095.56. Ald. Kezar moved to approve the bills including transfers in the amount of $47095.56. Ald. Wilson seconded. Ald. Wilson, Kezar, Hess and Kohley voted aye with 0 nays.
Ald. Kohley moved to adjourn. Ald. Hess seconded. Ald. Kohley, Kezar, Hess and Wilson voted aye with 0 nays. _________________________
Greg Richmond, Mayor
Paula W Brodie, MRCC, City Clerk Approved: ____________________