~~December 17, 2013 at 7:00PM.
Regular Board Meeting.
The Board of Aldermen held a regular meeting on Tuesday night December 3, 2013 at 7:00 PM. Those present included Mayor Greg Richmond, Alderpersons Calvin Wilson, Alice Kezar, Keith Kohley and Bill Hess. Also present were City Supervisor David Brodie, Chief Curt Drake, Officer Bill Cagle and City Clerk Paula Brodie. Guests included Lois Kolb, Katrina Hine from the McDonald County Press and Kim Gallardo.
The Mayor called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.
The Board of Aldermen discussed the minutes from the special budget meeting on Monday December 2, 2013. Ald. Wilson moved to approve the minutes from the regular meeting on December 2, 2103. Ald. Kohley seconded. Ald. Kohley, Hess, Kezar and Wilson voted aye with 0 nays.
The Board of Aldermen discussed the minutes from the regular meeting on Tuesday December 3, 2013. Ald. Wilson moved to approve the minutes from the regular meeting on Tuesday 3, 2013. Ald. Kohley seconded. Ald. Kohley, Hess, Kezar and Wilson voted aye with 0 nays.
Kim Gallardo was acknowledged by the Mayor and asked the Board if she could have until January 1st to pay her current water/sewer bill. The Board agreed to give her until the 1st to pay.
The Board began the business section of the meeting starting with the following unfinished business:
1. The Mayor noted that the Board had decided to vote on Bill # 2013-440 for Ordinance #2013-450 approving the 2014 Budget on December 30, 2013 to give the Clerk time to update the changes the Board had decided on at the budget meeting on December 16th. The Board had agreed to give each employee a $.40 cent raise starting January 1st. The Mayor noted that the Board would need to vote on the ordinance twice as it has to be passed and approved before January 1, 2014.
2. The Mayor stated that the Board had decided to raise the minimum water/sewer rates effective beginning February, 2014. He said they had agreed to a $.50 cent increase on the minimum Sewer rate and $.50 cents on the minimum water rate per month per service. He stated that the Board had received recommendations to raise the rates for the last three years from Rural Development, DNR and the City Auditor Nick Myers. He stated that the Board decided to go ahead and raise the rates this year as recommended. Ald. Wilson moved to raise the water rates $.50 cents on the minimum on both the water and Sewer. Ald. Kohley seconded Ald. Kohley, Hess, Kezar and Wilson voted aye with 0 nays. The Mayor noted that the cost to each service would be an increase of $1.00 a month.
3. Discuss and vote to approve the Mayor signing the proposal from Liquid Engineering to inspect and clean out the water towers per DNR requirements.
Ald. Kohley moved to approve the Mayors signing the proposal from Liquid Engineering to clean and inspect both city water tanks. Ald. Hess seconded. Ald. Hess, Kohley, Wilson and Kezar voted aye with 0 nays.
4. Note that the bids for the cleanup of the property at 119 S. First Street will be opened at the meeting on January 7, 2013.
The Board began the next part of the meeting with the following new Business;
1. The Board discussed a bid from General Code (Sullivan Publication) to update the City’s Code book with the State Statutes and with the ordinances passed during 2013. Ald. Wilson moved to approve the Mayors signing the proposal from General Code to update our code book. Ald. Kohley seconded. Ald. Kohley, Hess, Wilson and Kezar voted aye with 0 nays.
2. The Board discussed whether or not to give Christmas gifts to the employees. It was noted that in the past the Board had given turkeys, hams, memberships to Sam’s club and money. Ald. Kohley moved to approve the giving of $40.00 to each employee for Christmas. Ald. Wilson seconded. Ald. Wilson, Kohley, Kezar and Hess voted aye with 0 nays.
The Department heads gave the following reports:
a. Chief Drake noted that they were having an issue with the Ford Expedition. He noted that it had been in the shop for two days. He said Dan is trying to figure out what is wrong with it.
b. David Brodie- was not present
c. Denis Kolb- had no comments, however Keith Kohley informed the Board that there is going to be more winter weather this weekend.
d. Dawn Bunch – was not present.
e. Paula Brodie – note that the signups for open Board positions will be from December 17, 2013 until January 21, 2014. Positions open will be Northward Alderperson (Calvin Wilson), Southward Alderperson (Keith Kohley) and Municipal Judge (Clyde Davidson).
– note that the City Hall will be closed at 11:30 on December 24th, all day December 25th and January 1, 2014 for New Year’s Day.
– note that the City Hall will be open all day on December 31st, New Year’s Eve.
– noted that Katrina had given her information about Prescription Drug Take Back boxes that the McDonald County Coalition is going to be placing around the County. She thought that the Board might want to see about having one placed in Goodman. The Board discussed various places that it could be placed and asked Curt to look into it.
The Board discussed the bills including transfers in the amount of $55,065.80. Ald. Hess moved to approve the bills including transfers in the amount of $55,065.80.47. Ald. Kohley seconded. Ald. Hess, Kohley, Wilson and Kezar voted aye with 0 nays.
Ald. Wilson moved to adjourn. Ald. Kohley seconded. Ald. Kohley, Hess, Kezar and Wilson voted aye with 0 nays.